Pages

Monday, May 12, 2014

Bitter Taste of Sin

 
A friend of mine and I are reading through the Bible together and while reading through Genesis I had to think of Adam and Eve and their eating an apple from the Tree of Knowledge. I just had to wonder if the taste of the apple left a bitter taste after realizing all the implications of what they had done hit them. Then thinking of that, made me think of how sin can look so good but in the end leave such a bitter taste!
 
Which leads me to my point of sin and its bitter taste. Initially sin is sweet in the mouth but eventually it turns sour in our stomach. Job says it quite well:
 
Though wickedness be sweet in his mouth, though he hide it under his tongue; Though he spare it, and forsake it not; but keep it still within his mouth: Yet his meat in his bowels is turned, it is the gall of asps within him.  He hath swallowed down riches, and he shall vomit them up again: God shall cast them out of his belly.
-Job 20:12-15
 
Sin is so hideous and ugly to God but Satan has this way of making sin look so appealing and attractive to our selfish nature. One thing that I have learned is that though the initial taste may be sweet, the pleasure is very short and the consequences and regret that follow, far outweigh the pleasure! I have found that the closer I walk to God, the farther away from sin you walk. One thing that has helped me a lot with the different things I have struggled with and overcome, is not putting myself in situations that would set me up to fall, putting out safeguards, to daily be reading in God's Word (and applying what I have learned) as well as also praying and thinking on things that are pure and holy! Two books that can say this much better than I are listed below. I have read both and both have been a big encouragement to me in my walk with the Lord.
 
A few verses that I have been thinking a lot of lately and I think apply:
 
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
-Philippians 4:6-8

No comments:

Post a Comment