Pages

Monday, March 8, 2021

Unsettled by Worry

 What comes to mind when you think about worry? Do you think about the thoughts continually swirling in your mind, never settling down? Or maybe it’s a situation that never seems to be resolved? Regardless of what comes to mind when you think about worry, most likely you know how it feels to be unsettled by worry.

At the core of worry, fear, or the what-ifs is my unwillingness to wait on God. Unwillingness to wait in prayer, wait on His timing, or to wait for His provisions. I can feel so impatient with God, wanting things to happen when I think they should. But I have been reminded time after time, that God’s timing is always better than my own. Better than if I try to force something to happen in what I think to be the best timing.

Corrie Ten Boom said, “Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength.”  I find this to be so true. Worrying about something never helped to resolve the situation in any way. In fact, the time I spend on worry depletes my ability to trust in God. When I worry, I am looking to myself to supply whatever it is I am seeking. When in fact, God is the only one who can truly supply my needs.

So how do we combat worry?

6 Don’t worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7 (CSB)

When I read these verses, the first thing I notice is that I am not supposed to worry. This is not an option, but a command. When I worry, I intrude on an arena that belongs to God alone. Instead, I can take every worry, every situation or circumstance, EVERYTHING to God in prayer. God cares about all aspects of our lives.

The second thing I notice is that we are to bring everything with thanksgiving. This guards against us bringing everything to Him in a whining, complaining spirit when we come before Him. When we bring things with thanksgiving, the focus is shifted from us to Him. 

The third and final thing I notice is the peace of God that surpasses all understanding, will guard our hearts and minds. When we bring everything to Him, surrendering to what He desires to do in our situation and circumstances, we can rest in that peace that passes all understanding. There is truly nothing like that peace. It is readily available to us, all we need to do is rely fully on the Lord.

The verses in Philippians are such a good reminder to continually bring my cares to the Lord. It can be so easy to worry without much thought. But how much better do I feel when I intentionally cast my burdens on Him. 

Another verse that comes to mind is the one in 1 Peter 5:6-7 CSB:

6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God, so that he may exalt you at the proper time, 7 casting all your cares on him, 

When we bring our cares to Him, we are showing humility. It is a proud presumption to bring upon ourselves the things God has already promised to take care of. Let the swirling thoughts, the worry you feel, the cares you carry lead you to Christ. Allow them to usher you before the One who willingly will help you carry each burden you bear. 

So next time you lie awake in bed, worrying about that situation with thoughts swirling wildly in your mind, remember you have a choice. You can stay in that cycle of worry, or you can choose to cast your worries on the Lord. In doing so, it may not (most likely won’t) change anything about your circumstances, but it can change your outlook on your circumstances. And that, my friend, can make all the difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment