Pages

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Importance of Friends

 
Something that has been a lot on my mind lately is friends, both Christian and non-Christian. All my life I have been able to be around people who believe and live different than me, due to my dad having his own business and we as a family, having the opportunity to meet all kinds of people. Being able to see that although people come from different backgrounds, it doesn't change that we all are human, has shaped how I view people.
 
Over the last few years, God has brought people into my life who are of different upbringing and backgrounds that where I came from. Each person that I have had the privilege of coming into contact with has taught me something. Not only have they taught me something about myself, they also have taught me something about how I view people and treat people.
 
One of my friends, I met through my owning horses. She is older than me by quite a bit and I met her via an online site. *Note: I didn't know any horse people in the area where I live at the time and I was on horsechannel.com (a horse site) and I met a lot of my horse friends that way. I was able to meet quite a few of them in person (with my parents permission) and I have made some lasting friends that way. Thankfully I have been able to find some horse people in my area :) We have that common interest (horses), among other things. I am thankful that God brought her into my life for a lot of reasons. One of them being, that I may be able to be a witness to her and show her what Christ's love looks like. Another reason being, that I have been far more thankful of the heritage I have and being able to see how very blessed I am, to be able to grow up in a Christian home! I have known her, coming up on 5 years and in that time, she has taught me many things. But one of the most important things she has taught me is that, though it may be hard, we need to love the sinner. I believe they should know (as well as see by our actions) that we live our lives differently. By us living our lives differently, and them seeing that, should cause them to want what we have!
 
It has been a constant challenge to me, to make sure that I am living my life according to the way God wants me to live it. If I am not living my life right, how will those who are looking on be able to desire what I have?
 

“Be careful how you live; you will be the only Bible some people ever read.”

-William J Toms
 
It can be so hard to have friends who are not Christians. I have seen my friend go through some difficult things and if she would only know God, she would have Someone to help her through those difficult times! The one thing that I am constantly challenged with, is to stay true to my convictions. That though I am friends with those who do not believe the same way I do, my desire is, to not compromise what I believe.
 
That is why it is so  important, while it is good to have friends who are non Christians, to have friends who are solid Christians. They will be able to tell you if you are not standing strong on your convictions and growing in your Christian life. That is something I am so thankful for, is true, Christian friends. They have been such an encouragement to me and have been there for me through thick and thin!
 
I feel like this post was a bit scattered but I hope you may walk away encouraged. My challenge to you is, be friends to those who don't believe the same as you, or are not Christians, and you never know, the seeds you plant, someday may sprout! But at the same time, surround yourself with Christian friends who will be an encouragement to you, as well as help keep you grounded, as you minister to those around you!
 
A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. -Proverbs 17:17

No comments:

Post a Comment