Pages

Monday, February 22, 2021

Why Our Thought Lives Matter

We listen to the words we think and tell ourselves the loudest. Studies have shown that a very large percentage of the things we are telling ourselves is negative. Often these thoughts are rooted in lies that we have heard from others or told ourselves. How do we go about changing what we think and believe about ourselves? How do we expose the lies for what they truly are?

We need to know what is true before we can spot what is untrue. The way we can do this is by steeping ourselves in the Word of God. Allow what He says about us to be at the forefront of our minds. That means prioritizing our time with God, being in His Word daily, and let it become the soundtrack in our minds. When we do this, it becomes much easier to spot what is a lie and what is truth.

Sometimes this means bringing the things we are thinking into the spotlight by talking about them with someone. Lies enjoy the darkness, and when brought forth into the light aren't able to stand for very long.

This past year I have wrestled with why we struggle so much with believing lies about ourselves. But when you look at the Garden of Eden, and how the Devil inserted lies where truth should have been, it is not that difficult to understand why we so easily believe the lies we are presented. He tells us subtle lies to change our perception of what is true. This is where our trouble begins. We begin to believe the lies the Devil sells to us, and doubt the only one who is Truth.

One of my favorite things my therapist told me this past year as we worked through different beliefs I held about myself was "What would this mean about me if this were true?" By asking myself this when I am feeling or thinking something negative about myself, and then looking at what God says about me has been a tremendous help in uncovering lies that I believe about myself. I liken it to the lie hiding in a room all covered up. But when I approach it by asking what it means if this is true about me and bringing truth into the picture, the sheet is pulled off the lie and it is exposed. By exposing the lie, it doesn't take the space in that room anymore, and usually, it is a lot smaller than it portrays itself to be.

Different verses come to mind when I think of the importance of our thought lives. Romans 12:2 talks about not being conformed to this age but instead be transformed by the renewing of our mind. The reason to renew our mind is to be able to discern the will of God. What we choose to think about matters. The other verses that come to mind when I think about being mindful of my thoughts are the ones in Philippians 4:5-9.

Let your graciousness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. Don’t worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable—if there is any moral excellence and if there is anything praiseworthy—dwell on these things. Do what you have learned and received and heard from me, and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you. -Philippians 4:5-9 (CSB)

Our thoughts can so easily run our lives if we don't monitor them. They can be given the power to run our lives, taking over our words and actions, feelings, and emotions, including our peace and happiness. When we dwell on what has disappointed us, the hurtful and angering things people do, it is easy to get caught in a tide of negative thoughts. When we think negative thoughts, it can lead to negative feelings, which can result in believing only negative things about our lives. The quality of our thoughts determines the quality of our lives.

Coming back to the verses in Philippians, I find it encouraging to have a list of what sorts of things are helpful to dwell on. Seeing how easy it can be to dwell on negative thoughts, I find it helpful to check with myself about my thoughts. Are the thoughts running through my head more negative than positive? Am I focusing on the lies that are so easy to believe or on the truth of who God says I am in Him?

What we allow our minds to focus on plays out in our minds, and eventually shapes who we become. Today we can choose what we desire our thought lives to look like. I won't guarantee that it will be easy, but I can guarantee it will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment