Pages

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father Day, Instruction, and the Ultimate Father


Father's Day. The one day that is set aside to remember our fathers. They are the ones that should provide the leadership in the home, security, and spiritual instruction. There are times that the father isn't present or doesn't do his job but we still need to honour him regardless of that. I am thankful for the father God has given me. Although he has his failings, just like any other person, I try to honour him to the best of my ability. I had to think, what are some ways we can show our fathers we are thankful for them?

One way to show that we are thankful for them, is to listen to the instruction that that they give to you. This is not always easy especially if your think that he doesn't know what he is talking about or if he is not a Christian and gives you ungodly advice. Regardless, we should still listen to the advice they give and be respectful about it. The Bible says:
"My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother:" -Proverbs 1:8
I believe that fathers need respect (mothers do too) and this is one way we can show that respect to them. For me it can be quite hard to listen to the advice my father gives me, but I have asked God to help me to honour and respect my father. God has helped me a lot in this area and I am much better at listening to the advice my father does give me, with God's help!
 
I also believe that if we listen to our father's advice, regardless of what we think of it, it will help our relationship with our father, as well as in some ways, help us in our walk of life. Fathers often do have good advice and sometimes it keeps us from making the same mistakes. :)
 
The one neat thing about this whole thing is, even if our earthly father is failing in his duty, we have the Ultimate Father, God! He never fails, never will leave, or forsake us. God has been an awesome Father to me and he will supply my every need if I only ask! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment