Pages

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Reflections


And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.
-Galatians 4:6-7

I read this in my devotions this morning and it stuck out to me. I have been listening to a chorus cd that has the song, "Can the World See Jesus?" that talks about the people around you being able to see Christ in the way you live and have been thinking a lot about whether those around me, Christians and non-Christians, can see Christ living in me. Then reading these verses made me think, not only can they see Christ living in me, does the way I live reflect that I am a daughter of God? Which, if I have Christ living in me also points back to the fact that I am a daughter of God.
 
I had to think of the body of water pictured above. See how the blue of the sky and the surrounding scenery is reflected in water. I have to think that is how our lives should be. We should reflect the fact that Christ is in our life as well as reflect with what kind of people we are surrounding ourselves. That is why it is so important to have a good group of friends around us, along with people we can reach out and minister to.

This next verse that I thought of that, can in a way, go along with the whole idea of reflecting Christ, gives us some areas that we are to be an examples of believers. I believe if we are able to exemplify Christ in each of these areas, those around us will be able to see Christ in us, and know we are a son or daughter of God!
 
Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. 
-1 Timothy 4:12
 
Breaking each one of the areas we are to be an example in: 
In word. Meaning, does the way I talk and hold conversation make people think that I am a child of God or does the way I talk make them wonder. Also some commentaries would say this has to do with doctrine and teaching nothing but the truth of God. I think the two go hand in hand, teaching the truth of God and speaking.
In conversation: Conducting myself in every way of life that shows those around me for who I am living my life
In charity: In love to God and all men; show that this is my principle and motive in all my conduct
In spirit: In the way and attitude with which I do all things; How often do we do things that are holy and charitable with an unholy or uncharitable spirit? Then to us as the doer, work done in this spirit is unfruitful.
In faith: All the time, in any trial, show other believers around you, by your example, how they ought to keep an unshaken confidence in God
In purity: In chastity of body and mind, in opposition of impurity of the flesh; and it may also refer back to all the was said to before, purity in word, conversation, charity, spirit and faith
 
So my challenge to you is to look at your life and see if the way you are living is a reflection of being a child of God and having Christ living in you. My prayer is that Christ will shine through me, each and every day! May God bless you as you walk thru the rest of this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment