Pages

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Dreams/Desires/Plans and Waiting

 
I took this picture on Monday, when it was rainy here. I am reading Elizabeth Elliot's book, Passion and Purity and it has the following quote in it which got me to thinking about some things.
 
Waiting is not an occasional nor a hurried thing. It means steadfastness, that is holding on; patience, that is holding back; expectancy, that is holding the face up to see; obedience, that is holding one's self in readiness to go or do; it means listening, that is holding quiet and still so as to hear.
-S.D. Gordon
 
I have been thinking of waiting on the Lord because of some of the decisions I have been making lately. The Lord has shown me more than once in my life, that if I am willing to let Him have His way in my life, He will make my hopes/dreams (if they are in accordance to His plan for my life) become possible, far above and beyond what I had ever hoped for. Though often, that means sacrificing what you have or desire. I believe it is His way of refining and molding us into what He wants for our lives.
 
One very real way God showed this to me, was through my horses. God allowed horses to come into my life for a multitude of reasons. He has used them in a mighty way in my life but that is a story for another post. My very first horse was an older (20 something) gelding, named Navajo.
 
Navajo with one of our cats
 
I had him for about a year when I began to really think of what I wanted to do as far as horses. I had been able to learn a lot about communicating and training horses from Navajo, but my dream was to train a younger horse and someday raise a horse from birth till the first ride. For a horse, that is a two year commitment, since you only can (should) ride a horse once they turn two. In April of 2010, I was looking at buying another horse but the horse I was interested in, didn't work out. So I kept praying about wanting to train horses more to get experience so when I finally had the privilege to start a foal, I would have the knowledge, but didn't think much more of selling my horse. Well in July of that year, my cousin's asked me if I would train their 2 yr. old horse to ride. I asked my dad if I was allowed to train their horse for them. His answer was, "You can either train the horse and sell Navajo, or keep Navajo and not train the horse." At that time I didn't feel his thinking was very fair. I badly wanted to keep Navajo but I also badly wanted to train their horse. I knew it was step in the direction I wanted to go. I prayed about it and felt God leading me to give Navajo up. So I went through the process of finding a home for Navajo. Through that process, I met my friend Sharon, who helped me start my cousin's horse under saddle. I loved how God worked it all out, because though I had to rehome Navajo (who went to live for another year and a half at the next people's place; they had to put him down and I was able to be there when they did that), I was able to still be involved with horses for the next two months even though I didn't have my own horse. I didn't get the chance to buy a horse till October of 2010. Sharon was keeping a friend's horse to get ready to sell and she asked me if I was interested in buying it. She thought the horse would be what I wanted because I wanted a horse that knew the basics but that still needed lots of training. That horse was Daisy (my horse now). I asked my parents and they agreed that I could buy her. Half a year after I had Daisy, I bred her. A year later (2 years ago, this April 25th), she had a colt (male) and I named him Freedom. I still own him and this month I will be able to start riding him. I always dreamed of starting a horse I raised and I have tremendously enjoyed the process thus far!
 
Daisy 
Freedom
 
So long story short (well somewhat), through my giving Navajo to another home, being able to train my cousin's horse (along with quite a few others at Sharon's place while I had my horse there), and buying Daisy, I was able to do something I always wanted to do, which was start a foal from little on up. Not in my timing, or the way I would have ever thought but I must say it was worth it. God's plan was far above and beyond what I ever dreamed or even asked for! So though it meant sacrifice, I knew that what God had in store was not only for my best interest, it always is way better than what I could plan or dream of for myself. He is an amazing Father and he loves to bless those who live their lives to serve Him! This was just one example that I could think of, but God has shown me time and time again :) I have been doing a lot of reflecting on the way God has brought me to where I am now. He is an amazing God!
 
So I said all this to encourage you, that if God is asking you to wait for something or if you have things you want or dream of doing, GIVE those dreams and desires to God and ask Him if this is what He wants for your life. Most likely it will mean sacrificing some things and maybe it will mean changing your dreams/desires/plans but I can promise this much. IT IS WORTH IT! Not only does God have your best in mind, He loves to bless His children and what He has for you is above and beyond what you could ever dream or hope for!
 
Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD. -Psalm 27:14

No comments:

Post a Comment